I am very blessed to serve as the Lead Pastor of North Oak Community Church in Hays, Kansas. NOCC is a Mennonite Brethren congregation that believes Jesus is the hope of the entire world. We value Jesus’ teachings and commit our lives to becoming more like him. My wife and I love everything about church ministry. North Oak Community Church is a truly special place that puts a high value on unity and close relationships.
My wife Vanlalhmachhuani (aka “Amy”) is a native of India and an incredible woman of God. She is a constant source of joy and wonder, and the longer we are married the more I appreciate her wisdom and spiritual strength. She is from the Mizo tribe of Northeast India, and has bachelor’s degrees in both English and Religious Education.
Our three grown children are the dearest “possessions of our hearts.” Our two sons live in Michigan, with one graduating from Calvin University and the other will soon graduate from Hope College. Our daughter lives in Kansas City with her loving husband and golden-doodle.
Education & Academics
I’m currently a PhD candidate in Biblical Studies at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. My current research interests include the New Testament synoptic gospels, Second Temple Jewish literature, ancient Near Eastern and Greco-Roman backgrounds, eighth century Jewish prophets, intertextuality, and the concept of justice in the biblical and ancient world. I’m also an “armchair dabbler” in Ethical Theory and the Philosophy of Ethics. My dissertation is in process and is tentatively titled “Justice to Victory: Intertextual Considerations on a Matthean Theme.”
Societies & Memberships
I maintain active memberships in the following academic societies:
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute for Biblical Research
- Association for Jewish Studies
- Society of Biblical Literature
- American Academy of Religion
Other organizations I follow:
- Enoch Seminar
- Chicago Society for Biblical Research
- Society for New Testament Studies
- British New Testament Society
- Southwest Commission on Religious Studies
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
- Association for the Scientific Study of Religion
- Near East Archaeological Society
- American Society of Oversees Research (formerly American School of Oriental Research).